Andy's 1984 pontiac Fiero

This web page chronicles the resurrection and restoration of Andys 1984 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L (Bored 30 over with a comp cam).
This car came to me from my brother in law, it was in bad shape when my friend and I looked at it but it had some potential. Fieros are kool Iat the time I had been helping Gore upgrade his Fiero. To get my 1984 Fiero, I traded a truck bed for the Fiero. My brother inlaw needed it to sell a truck that he had and, I couldn't use the bed or sell it. So we traded and home came my Fiero.

car with no rear wheels

Right off the bat, this car didn't run. The timing gear was blown. We were going to just replace the blown gear but my Dad suggested that we do a complete tear down of the engine just in case there was something else wrong. So we removed the motor.

Fiero's motor

There was nothing wrong with the rest of the motor. It was slightly rusty on one of the cylinder walls so I had the block bored out 30over. When I rebuilt the motor I put in a comp cam.
While the motor was out of the car I took the entire back end apart and spent the summer restoring the metal frame. There was a lot of rust on the frame right by the wheel wells. This was all replaced with new metal. While restoring the frame I invented a way to help prevent new rust from forming by making "rain guards". I installed these right over the wheel wells and the new battery tray. Once I had the frame restored I put the motor back in.

battery tray wheel well

In the junkyard I found a GT front bumper, the bumper was in ok shape but some of the mounting brackets were shot so I fond some new ones and made a new front plate out of some old boiler plate metal. This plate is 1/4 of an inch thick, I don't think it will ever rust away.

front bumper

Ok we have the frame done, the new front bumper on, Motors in. Time to drive! well almost. The car would not run at first. Turns out I had missed one of the power connectors. The car won't run if there's no power going to the ECM! I felt like an idiot and my friend had a good laugh. At least we found the problem. With the car running we were able to test drive it. Turns out that the brakes are the original brakes from 1984. One of the rear callipers came lose on the way to work one day and turned the rotor cherry red hot. Its a good thing that my brother followed me to work that day. I had to replace all of the brakes with new ones.

Brake flaring tool
car being cleaned

Now I removed the side panels because I had purchased some side scoops. The guy that sold them to me took forever. turns out that he didn't even have them done when he sold them on Ebay. I had to wait a mouth before I could get them. When they finally showed up they weren't any good. By this point it was to late to complain or send them back. I ended up re-doing the whole side scoop just to get it to fit. I still have one panel to re-do.

car whit side scoop

As soon as I had the motor rebuilt I took and installed the BIG wing. This is the wing that my car is known for. Its so big that it sticks up over other cars like a shark fin in a sea of cars. When I started searching for a wing I wanted something like the wing for a dodge road runner. Those wings turned out to be way out of my price $range$. Then I fond this light bar for a dodge truck. it was 10.5 inchs to wide and its supposed to face the other way. This wing used to be mounted behind the cab of the truck. Using two pieces of boiler plate I made two mounting plates and attached the wing to the deck lid. The two flood lights are wired up to my reverse lights. The centrer portion of the wing was cut and made 10.5 inches skinyer.

back view of wing shark fin close up of shortened wing section car so far

My car is running and I've been driving it everywhere. The car's interferer was just as bad as the rest of the car. The head liner was removed and restored. That was easy for us to do. it only took us one night to replace the fabric. Over the summer I took out parts and re-dyed them and now all of the panels inside the car look brand new. We even found a perfectly good dashboard from the junkyard to use.
Everything in the car was manual, nothing had power. One day my mom backed into my fiero. She broke the mirror and cracked the fibreglass. it was a small crack but it still coast $500 to get it fixed. Her insurance gave me the money in cash so I was happy. When I went to get a replacement mirror they charged me $60 for it and it wasn't any good. The Mirror had a big dent in it. I returned the mirror and got my money back. A week latter I went to dalelee22 place and bought a whole door with power locks, power windows and a power mirror for a lot less than $60 bucks. I used the parts from that door to upgrade my door so that my door will have power everything. Latter I went back to Dales and got some more power door parts so that I could upgrade my other door. When I took the doors apart I also replaced all of the door seals.

car door appart bad seals make for rusty doors power lock unit and custom bracket new mounting screws finished door
d d d d